Gold gilded fruit is a great edible centerpiece, its a great interactive activity to do with your children and it is a great alternative to plastic fruit. After the party is over, you can repurpose the fruit to make a delicious Golden Apple Pie which is tres chic!
Level of Difficulty: Moderate
Tools & Materials
- Fresh or Plastic Fruit (apples, pears, pomegranates, walnuts in the shell)
- 24 Karat Edible Gold Leaf Sheets
- Sugar Glue (see below)
- Disposable foam paint brush
- Clean and dry fruit. If you’re using fresh fruit, the firmer the better. (You can get the same look with fake fruit, if you want it to last).
- With a disposable paintbrush, apply a thin, even coat of sugar glue solution. Let dry until tacky (about 15 minutes).
- Press sheets of 24 caret gold leaf onto the fruit and roll over a clean cloth surface. Overlap sheets slightly, and remove any loose pieces.
- Allow fruit to dry completely and arrange in a gold gilded glass bowl for a dramatic edible table decoration.
Recipe for Edible Sugar Glue
- 1 part vodka
- 2 parts sugar
Heat the mixture in the microwave until smooth, there should be no grains of sugar visible in the heated mixture.